EASY STEPS TO MAKING YOUR WEBSITE ACCESSIBLE
A vast majority of the accessibility obstacles on the web are the result of ignorance, oversight or negligence, rather than technological limitations. A greater awareness of accessibility requirements and guidelines and support on what needs to be done to become accessibility compliant may encourage institutions to take proactive steps to become web accessible
Listed below are some easy steps towards making your website accessibility compliant
- STEP 1: Establish a policy that your web pages will be accessible and agree a standard that will be adopted (WCAG1, WCAG 2.0, Section 508, or any other established standard)
- STEP 2: Create a process for implementation
- STEP 3: Ensure that all new and modified web pages and content are accessible
- STEP 4: Check the HTML1 of all new web pages. Make sure that accessible elements are used, including alt tags, long descriptions, and captions, as needed
- STEP 5: If images are used, including photos, graphics, scanned images, or image maps, make sure to include alt tags and/or long descriptions for each
- STEP 6: If online forms and tables are used, make those elements accessible
- STEP 7: When posting documents on the website, always provide them in HTML or a text-based format (even if you are also providing them in another format, such as Portable Document Format (PDF))
- STEP 8: Develop a plan for making your existing web content more accessible. Describe your plan on an accessible web page. Encourage input on improvements, including which pages should be given high priority for change. Let citizens know about the standards or guidelines that are being used. Consider making the more popular web pages a priority.
- STEP 9: Ensure that IT personnel and service providers responsible for web page and content development are trained on accessibility requirements and standards.
- STEP 10: Provide a way for visitors to request accessible information or services by posting a telephone number or E-mail address on your home page. Establish procedures to assure a quick response to users with disabilities who are trying to obtain information or services in this way.
- STEP 11: Periodically review website by having disability groups to test your pages for ease of use; use the inputs to enhance accessibility